J.M. Equipment was started in 1936 in Northern California by Jack Moore as an agricultural equipment dealer. Over the next several decades, J.M. Equipment grew into 4 locations and branched into one of the nation’s premier and most recognized and awarded material handling and agricultural equipment dealers.
In February of 1936 a new store was opened in Stanislaus County bearing the name of Moore Equipment Company. John Moore (Jack) and his first employees Harold Clark and Rolland Quimby started this fledging business on the site that still stands today at 819 So. 9th St. in Modesto Ca. Ten years later the name was changed to J.M. Equipment Co., Inc.
Mr. Rolland Quimby and Harold Clark, along with other members of their families purchased the business in the late 1950’s. J.M. Equipment Co. began as a farm tractor and implement company, and branched out into the forklift business in 1960, establishing J.M. Lift Trucks Inc. The newly formed lift truck company represented the Allis Chalmers line of forklift trucks, as well as Cushman carts, and other warehousing and material handling equipment.
Both sides of the company grew at an unprecedented rate through the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s, as J.M. Equipment Co., Inc. sold and serviced machinery to local accounts such as Tri Valley Growers, Gallo Wine, Davis Canning, Vendo Corporation, and Del Monte Foods.
Rolland Quimby died in 1991, and the business was sold to two long-term employees, who were members of the original families that started the company, Mr. Dan Clark and Mr. George Betker. The sale of the company was completed in 1992, and the two companies once again merged under the common name J.M. Equipment Co., Inc. Under the leadership of Mr. Clark and Mr. Betker, the business flourished and grew. In 7 short years, J.M. Equipment Co., Inc. added to their Modesto, Stockton, Patterson and Fresno locations, with branches in West Sacramento, and Kerman, and added a rental and service center in East Modesto. In years past J.M. Equipment has also operated stores in Turlock and Merced.
Since 1936, J.M. Equipment Co., Inc. has grown to over 175 employees. In 1999, the owners gathered together a group of 6 long time employees, to whom they sold the company. The former owners stayed on as employees and continue to provide support to the venture. The current owners are Ray Azevedo, Audie Burgan, Ed Henriques, Vincent Victorine, and Brian Wagoner. These new owners are working today, to chart further growth and expansion for the corporation.
Over the years, J.M. Equipment Co., Inc. has become recognized as one of the leading suppliers of farm equipment, implements, forklifts, and material handling products to the farmers and industrial businesses of the Central Valley of California. The Company and its employees are honored consistently each year by its major suppliers for being one of the leading dealers in the United States for salesmanship management, and customer service.
J.M. has always been MORE than a tractor and forklift company. The company prides itself for supplying exceptional customer service and building long-term relationships with its customers. The company attributes its success to the hard work and dedication of all its employees. Grandfathers, fathers, sons and daughters, brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles and husbands and wives have worked and still working together at the company to make it what it is today. The company continues to offer training and education to their workforce to maintain and augment their commitment to customer service now, and well into the 21st century.